Monday, August 24, 2009

Library Love - Midwest Style


Heading west from yesterday’s New England library, this is William Rainey Harper Memorial Library in Chicago, Illinois, on the University of Chicago campus. Looks like a very cozy study spot! Brian notes that both Michelle and Barack Obama would have studied there while students.

This postcard was adopted by Brian, who responded to a listing I submitted to the wonderful Letter Exchange (LEX). I've been a member of LEX for many years, with a bit of a break in the early part of this century. It is a wonderful magazine and forwarding service that I highly recommend. I do offer a bit of a caveat. Many of the most prolific LEXers are not computer savvy and some are down-right anti-computer. I hope that changes with time, but I suspect it will be lots of time. There are always interesting discussions to be had without mention of computers, though ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I just absoloutly love librarys like that and they have sadly closed most of our librarys because of budget cuts . I cry everytime I think about it . great blog .

    ReplyDelete
  2. With this special light, the picture seems very inviting for the one who's looking for a peaceful place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog you have. I had never heard of the Letter Exchange and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...except neither Obama was ever a student at University of Chicago. On the other hand, Barack did teach there, and Michelle was an administrator, and their daughters attended the UC Lab School, so they've probably used the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that an interesting thing about LEXers? One of them called me younger than most of the members - and I'm in my mid-30s! Ha.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.