Tuesday, November 17, 2009

London Mapped


Featured prominently on this mapcard is St Paul’s Cathedral. Calin returned this card from Romania and notes that in addition to the many famous people buried at St. Paul’s and the wondrous “Whispering Gallery” (whisper your secret into the wall and it will travel to anyone whose ear is pressed next to any other wall in the gallery), it is also famous for the epithet of its architect, Christoper Wren. It reads “Lector, si monumentum requiris, circumspice,” Latin for “Reader, if you seek his monument, look around you.”

I climbed to the top of this magnificent monument a few years ago. It was very, very windy at the top, but the view of the city is amazing.

5 comments:

  1. wow you have more energy than I do and my goodness it is so beautifull . love the card and the lesson with it . God bless and take care my dear .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to St Paul's, many years ago. Is there a London Fire monument somewhere nearby? Maybe to the left of "The Bank" in that postcard? (i can't read it on the postcard). I remember climbing up that, but for some reason I think we weren't able to go into St Paul's.

    Tangent: Circumspice is in the Michigan motto: "Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice" [If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. London: a dream, a good memory, a little taste of "come -back -soon", as we say in France!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This particular stretch of the Thames is forever in my memory. I had to attend a conference and decided, as it was a beautiful day and I had plenty of time, that I would walk all the way from Waterloo Station to Tower Bridge, along the riverside walk. I had no idea quite how far it actually is, nor how rapidly a small bag can become a leaden weight. But I did manage to see some wonderful sights first hand.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.