Friday, October 22, 2010

Statistically Speaking: A Novel Every Half Hour

Did you know a new book of fiction is published every 30 minutes in the US? That was the estimate back in 2004 when Laura Miller wrote a commentary in the New York Times titled, "The Last Word: How Many Books Are Too Many?". I'm sure the numbers have changed in the last 6 years, particularly because there are so many unemployed now. And the thing to do when unemployed is to write that novel you have been threatening to write for years and years.

November is National Novel Writing Month, abbreviated NaNoWriMo, and it is has been taking place since 1999. I have never participated in this crazy exercise that is supposed to result in a complete 50,000 word novel at the end of 30 days, but this year provides the perfect excuse to try.

I have a novel in my head. There are four sisters (I have three sisters!), and they each read the same novel (my sisters and I have read this novel!), and make notes in the margins (we do that, too!), and the story evolves from there. I really don't have much of a plot, but that's okay, it will evolve, too.

4 comments:

  1. I like to write novels! but we have not such month here; I will use your beginning, and try to make a story out of it. So you will be my (post) muse! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my friend Fred, we're writing...not a novel but a book (!!!!). We're at chapter 30 (out of 33) in two years : it's a great adventure.
    So go ahead !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! It sounds just fascinating.
    I wrote a novel once but simply put it away. I discovered that I wanted/needed to write it but had no real interest in readers. I didn't know that as I wrote, however.

    Good luck! I hope that you enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done NaNoWriMo in the past and it is a blast. I did not opt to do it this year, I have just not been motivated.

    Now you shouldn't be reading comments. You have a couple thousand words to write. Hop to it! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.