Monday, April 11, 2011

Drawn In

"At the Window," Hans Heyerdahl
Kerstin adopted this wonderful card from the Reading Woman series of postcards by Pomegranate Press. The scene in later 19th century, perhaps one of the Nordic countries as the artist is Norwegian born.

The picture draws Kerstin in with its pensive mood. What has caused the young woman to stop reading? Is she bored? Perhaps waiting for someone ... a husband or lover? Perhaps she is alone in a foreign city and studying the cityscape below. Kerstin posits all these ideas and notes that the soft light and clarity of the woman's face are so appealing.

When I posted another card in this series last month, I got many wonderful comments about current reads. At the time, I was in a bit of a reading slump. I'm happy to note that I have gotten quite caught up in The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova. It was published a few years ago, the author's second novel. Her first, The Historian, is one of my favorite novels.

2 comments:

  1. She heard a noise in the street, or she's dreaming about what she just read..There's no sadness there, only serenity, a peaceful moment..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every afternoon when I come home from work and the weather is nice a neighbor in our house sits next to the open big windows in his apartment reading a book. This picture reminds me of him...

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.