Sunday, April 10, 2011

Salutations

And then, just as Wilbur was settling down for his morning nap, he heard again the thin voice that had addressed him the night before.
"Salutations!" said the voice.
Wilbur jumped to his feet. "Salu-what?" he cried.
"Salutations!" repeated the voice.
"What are they, and where are you?" screamed Wilbur. "Please, please, tell me where you are. And what are salutations?"
"Salutations are greetings," said the voice. "When I say 'salutations,' it's just my fancy way of saying hello or good morning."

This lovely vintage postcard features a country road in the very small town of Brooklin, Maine. The above quote is from a favorite childhood story, Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White. White lived in Brooklin, and his stories were based in this small town. I suspect the book connection is how this postcard came to be in my collection.

Anamaria in Romania adopted this card. She writes that the image set her to daydreaming about its history. She also dreams about coming to the US and visiting a different Brooklin ... the Brooklyn Bridge in New York City. I wrote to her that I have visited that bridge and walked over it ... it is quite a wonderful walk.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Charlotte's Web is a favourite of mine, too--and not just from childhood. I'm 40 now and still read it to anyone who'll listen. Lovely postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed walking over the Brooklyn Bridge too--from the Brooklyn side over to the Manhattan side where my friends and I stopped to eat some ridiculously delicious Italian ices and gelato :)

    "Here is New York" by E.B. White is on my to read list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a Brooklyn in Michigan. It's near the Michigan International Speedway, but otherwise is pretty much the opposite of what I imagine Brooklyn NY to be!

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.