Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Oddest Castle

This odd building is known as Castel Sant'Angelo or Mausoleum of Hadrian, and is in Rome, Italy. It was commissioned by Emperor Hadrian (of Hadrian Wall fame) and it not only houses his remains, but that of his family and subsequent emperors, too.

Marie says this is the strangest castle she has ever visited. When you enter, you climb a long ramp that spirals, like the inside of a snail's shell. The rooms are at the top and the whole thing is topped by a gigantic angel. I suspect the angel was added at a much later date than Hadrian's time. Marie also wrote that the view of the River Tiber from the top of the castle is absolutely fabulous.

This castle has been featured in lots of popular culture, probably because it is so unusual. I know I've seen it in the old movie, Roman Holiday. And it was also one of the clues in Dan Brown's book Angels and Demons. I'm tempted to add Roman Holiday to my Netflix (mail order movies) queue....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.