Thursday, November 29, 2012

Just a Chapel in the Woods

Yosemite Chapel was opened in 1879 and is the oldest structure in Yosemite National Park. The peak behind it is El Capitan, but it wasn't always the natural backdrop for this chapel. The building was moved in 1901 because of dwindling population in its original location. I am sure this location never wants for population!

Sarah grew up in California, but never visited Yosemite until her early 20s. She writes that pictures do not do it justice. I do think this photo is particularly stunning, though. And Ansel Adams had a way with film and Yosemite. But, most of us just can't capture all that beauty with a lens.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in California too but never made it to Yosemite myself. I've only had the photos to admire, but like you said--they can't compare with seeing Yosemite in person. That much I know is true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first sight, I thought about Norway!
    What a fabulous place for a church!

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.