Monday, December 3, 2012

Dancing Upon, or Under, the Bridge

St. Bénézet Bridge in Avignon, France, is a medieval bridge of Roman construction, and was an architectural wonder in its time. There were originally 22 arches spanning the Rhône, but only four remain. The bridge was mostly lost in the early 17th century and today is a lovely ruin for modern people to walk upon in the footsteps of old.

Until she visited Avignon, Bev didn't realize the bridge was a ruin. She knew the bridge from a song, Sur le pont d'Avignon, which is a children's verse about the different ways people might dance upon the bridge, although it is mostly believed that the dancing was done under the bridge, as the bridge is very narrow. Once this bridge passed over an island where people would gather and dancing would surely commence. The island, Ile de la Barthelasse, is still there, and is a popular recreation spot. I'm sure dancing and other merriment can be found because somethings never change. Particularly when it comes to having fun.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the first songs I learned in my 7th grade French class... and I can still sing it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Beautiful ladies do it like this, beautiful gentlemen do it like that ".. Childhood memories for any french kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice postcard! I always sang that song when I was a kid and I even walked on this bridge during a family vacation. Great memories! :)

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.