Monday, December 31, 2012

Of Canyon and Books

When Emily was in high school she took a spring break trip to Arizona with her parents and grandparents. Her first view of the Grand Canyon was with a light snow cover, and then she saw it later in the day, with bright sunshine and all trace of snow gone. She writes that it was a treat to see it in two different "moods."

Emily's trip took her all over Arizona in those two weeks, which was a wonderful change of scenery for this midwestern girl. By the time they got to Tucson, the weather had gotten so hot they needed to buy shorts. And that wasn't the only thing Emily bought on that trip. She also credits the adventure with turning her into a mystery book lover because she devoured all the Tony Hillerman books, which are set in this area, she could find in the gift shops they encountered.

I'd like to be celebrating here tonight, but I'll be at home, cozy with my beloved and cat. And I probably won't be awake at midnight. It has been many years since I stayed awake until midnight to toast the new year. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. This has a very similar feel to the postcard of the Grand Canyon I received from you. Like you you, I'll be in long in bed by midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I might stay up this year.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.