Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sicilian Antiquity

This bit of antiquity is from Selinunte, an archaeological site in Palermo, Italy. The relief shows Hercules carrying Cercopi, a group of dangerous people who robbed and murdered travelers. Legend has it that these two were presented to a queen and then later turned into monkeys by the god Zeus.

Jenna considers herself a "mutt," meaning her heritage is a mysterious mix. But, she does know her great-grandparents came from Palermo, and she longs to visit Sicily to connect with that part of her heritage.

3 comments:

  1. Your collection amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ... if you could see the mountains of postcards that need sorting and filing! When I wrote this post three years ago, I estimated 9,000 or so postcards in my collection. It is now double that. I am constantly on the lookout for ways to artfully store such a large collection. And I have completely revamped my organizing system, but only got halfway through the change, which is why there are mountains of postcards waiting to be put away. But, I kind of like the task.

      Delete
  2. Sicily is a fabulous place, so rich of history, and .. good food and wines! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.