Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Irons in the Library

Newton Free Library, Newton, Massachusetts
Cynthia used to visit the old Newton Library when she lived in Massachusetts. It had exposed pipes, steel shelves and little nooks around every corner. That library closed in the early 1990s and a new, much larger library was opened, which is the library featured in this photo. I love that the child is reaching over is caregiver's shoulder to pick a book.

In 2011 the Newton library featured a display of irons ... the appliance used to press wrinkles out of clothing! Cynthia didn't get to attend, but a friend who did absolutely loved it. I came upon  a lovely blog post about the iron collector and his irons. I love anything to do with collections, and this one is unusual, and beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. I love libraries! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah, I love that they displayed irons! That's so perfect. Strange and wonderfully perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have very old irons coming from my grandmothers; Not a collection, as I don't want to buy more. But enough already for a nice display in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.