Monday, January 21, 2013

The Castle That is Sometimes a Bridge

Hella visited this unusual French castle on a very hot day in August, with about 100 other people. She was eager to escape the stuffy interior and wander the exquisite gardens.

Chenonceau has had a very tumultuous history. It was torn down and rebuilt a number of times, and the bridge portion was a rather late addition. During WW II it was a convenient escape route because the crossing over to the end of the bridge put one in safe territory. And it was a stop on the most recent season of Amazing Race, one of very few television shows I never miss.

1 comment:

  1. It's one of the famous "Chateaux de la Loire", a rank of castles all fabulously beautyful and rich in history, all along the river Loire.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.