Monday, February 4, 2013

Intangible Heritage

This view is not one that Eva sees in the Moroccan town where she lives, but she was happy to see this postcard featuring the busy Jemaa el-Fbaa marketplace in Marrakesh. This is the place that inspired UNESCO to establish the Proclamation of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity in 2001. That long and fancy title simply means that this place should be promoted for its cultural expression. One could get lost for hours and hours investigating all the wonderful arts listed as intangible heritage.

Eva writes that her town is a book lover's dream, but one must have eyes wide open to find the treasures.

The postage on the right features a festival held in August called Salon du Cheval. I recognized the word "cheval" as meaning horse, and these must be beautiful Arabian horses, in their finest dress. I don't know what the round yellow postage represents, but I am quite fond of round postage these days.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see the postcard again!

    The round stamp is about the National Solidarity Week, which is held every year. There are different events and celebrations, and all the employees in the post office wear a pin like this stamp. I saw on TV that even the king and his cabinet wear the same pin.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.