Monday, February 11, 2013

Of Palace and Politics

This iconic view is Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet. The photo was taken in the early 1900s. The Palace is the winter residence for the Dalai Lama, though the current Dalai Lama has not lived in Tibet since 1959. He is exiled.

I don't begin to understand the complexities that Tibetan face every day. While I do not avoid politics, I don't always have enough patience to understand all the arguments in order to make an informed decision about my own opinions. I was a young adult when the Free Tibet movement started here in the US. What I understood was that the people of Tibet want a religious and political freedom not allowed under current rule. It made sense to me then, as it does now.

Tenzin's in-laws are Tibetan, and live in in the eastern part of the state. She visited them a few years ago and it was an amazing trip. She did not get to Lhasa, but she wasn't disappointed because freedoms are quite restricted in this area now. I would like to see, in my lifetime, a day when Tenzin, and anyone else who practices Tibetan Buddhism, could visit this place and be free from any threat of suppressed freedom.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing Tibet's struggle with a new audience. Awareness of the situation is the first step towards real change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very interested in Tibet's life and involved in the Free Tibet's movement. The Potala can't be seen like this anymore, authorities have built many modern buildings, shops and supermarkets all around it , to make it lose its spiritual meaning.This view is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I read 'Across Many Mountains" by Yangzom Brauen, about three women (grandmother, daughter, granddaughter) and their story of esaping Chinese rule. It was very eye-opening for me and a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.