Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Snowman

The Snowman is a children's book written by Raymond Briggs in 1978. It is the adventures of a snowman and a little boy, but told in pictures only, so readers make up the words. It is a wonderful book and the illustration at the end is refreshingly honest.

Georgette adopted this postcard partly because she loves snowmen. I can well understand that because I have quite a snowmen/snowflake collection. I've not bought any in recent years, but I think I could decorate three houses with the ones I have.

The other reason Georgette was attracted to this orphaned postcard is because she took a Children's Literature class at university and it was her favorite class. This postcard brings back all the fond memories of the class and the excellent professor who inspired her.

This postcard was returned in December, and I scheduled it for posting on a random date in February, because it was likely that we would have snow in February. However, when I got up this morning, the first thing I heard on the radio is that today is the third anniversary of what some called "Snowmageddon." On this very day in 2010, a major snowstorm started barreling through this area. I wrote two blog posts on the following day, one showing my mailbox buried deep in the snow, and then later in the day, after we had shoveled out. Back in 2010 the scheduled postcard for the day after the storm began played right into a freak snowstorm, and I had written the actual blog post weeks prior to the publication! It often happens that the orphaned postcards seem to pick their own dates for publishing. It is serendipity that always amazes me.

3 comments:

  1. there are no coincidences in life, only signs for those who know how to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a series of envelopes I made from a copy of "the Snowman" that had been abandoned on the free book shelf at the library. It was a delightful little book and made excellent envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own this postcard too, and I was waiting for the snow to send it... :)

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.