Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Where the Three Wise Monkeys Live

This Tōshō-gū shrine in Nikko is one of Japan's most famous. They are not visible in this photo, but over the door is a carving of the three wise monkeys who embody the proverbial principle to "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." I didn't know it until I read about the monkeys on WIkipedia, but there is sometimes a fourth monkey who has his arms crossed and he is "do no evil."

Yuko adopted this postcard because she visited Nikko three years ago on a school trip. She writes that the trip was fun and this is a lovely place.

I was amazed, and, to be honest, amused, to read Yuko's "P.S" on this postcard. She asks if it is true that people who live in Pittsburgh (my current city) and don't support the city's football team, the Steelers, are in mortal danger. While Pittsburghers are quite passionate about their teams, they don't go to extreme measures. I'm living proof. I have lived here for eight years and, while I'm not a passionate fan, I still cheer for my hometown team, the New England Patriots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.