Monday, April 29, 2013

US History is Often All About Where You Live

This vintage view is of the Shenandoah National Park Visitor Center in Virginia. Judging from the cars, I'd say the photo is from the 1950s. The fashion is so "out" that they are now "in."

This area of the US is steeped in Civil War history, and Michelle describes it best so I will let her words write this post.

"I can't tell you how many times we went down this path [Stonewall Jackson's Marches] on field trips. Civil War and Jamestown -- the bread and butter of childhood history lessons in Virginia."

I grew up in New England and we lived, ate and breathed Revolutionary War history. I didn't really "know" Civil War until I moved to Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is where the two histories collide.

The postage Michelle used is one of my favorites. It is part of a se-tenant issued last year that celebrates bike riding. I enjoy bike riding, but not in Pittsburgh. It is very hilly here, but it is the going down that bothers me most. I am afraid my brakes will fail. I need to visit Netherlands, where I can bike ride without fear of downhills.

4 comments:

  1. No one in Chicago knows about the Revolutionary War. So I gave some education about Patriot's Day amidst the bombing talk. And, I have been to many many national parks but not Shenandoah. Maybe next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Northern California where I grew up, a lot of the history focus during childhood was on pioneers moving west, the gold rush, Native Americans, Mexico--it was kind of like the whole midwestern and eastern parts of the country didn't even exist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come bike in Vegas, very few hills, but the drivers will ignore you so your safety is in your own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only the vaguest memories of New Mexico history class from middle school - probably conquistadors or something. In high school, we didn't get very far into American History - barely out of the 1800s, and NM wasn't even a state at that point, so I'm not sure our location influenced what we learned.

    I have a friend living in Massachusetts - her daughter complained about all the field trips taken to colonial sites, something along the lines of "can't we ever see something more modern?" My nieces were going to school in Missouri during all the Lewis & Clark bicentennial hoopla, and got thoroughly bored of learning about L&C!

    ReplyDelete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.