Sunday, March 23, 2014

Silly Goose Story

The image in the upper left of a statue in the German city of B├╝tzow puzzled me, so when I sent this card to Antonia, I asked her what it represents. She wrote that it is two geese in flight. It commemorates the "Geese War" of 1794. It wasn't actually a war, but more an act of civil disobedience when townfolk were suddenly prohibited from letting their geese roam free. These are the sorts of things that make me want to visit relatively unknown parts of the world.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The geese were made to stay inside a penned in area ... this is the beginning of enclosure measures right at the time of the industrial revolution that took away lots of common land making life for small farmers really hard.

      Delete
  2. does this mean you were NOT puzzled by the bull sticking out his tongue??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness ... that bull completely missed my eye. And now it is all I can look at.

      Delete

Because of an increase in spam comments, I have put word verification back on the comments. If you have trouble with it, my email is in the right sidebar ... email me and I will post your comment for you.